nah, just kidding!
This time of year the gym is packed. People are making grand declarations. It’s a fresh new year and often a time of reflection and goal setting.
Not for me.
note: the projects shown are ones made for my Art Journaling course starting next week. For more information + to register click here.
I’m a year-round type of personal growth and work gal. The thing is, true change and growth happens with a million tiny steps. Big gestures and grand declarations aren’t action. Also, this time of year it can be really overwhelming to go adding a bunch of new ideas and activities and worse? Failure can really send you to a sad place.
So what if you’re wanting to reflect, make some adjustments, add some positive habits, and improve some things? How do you judge yourself in a positive way that will promote happiness and positive stuff?
Obviously I can’t tell you exactly how to do this – everyone is different. But I can tell you what I do.
Find some things I’m doing that are GOOD. For example:
- All my ink pads and paints are 100% where they belong and I clean them up all the time. This means I’ve got good storage system and of course am actually putting them away
- Frequent use of my art journal – even if to jot a note or quote I’ve got it out several times a week
- Have my photos printed + organized from my last vacation and have begun filming videos for that class!
- 100% of layouts are in albums
Then, I look at what I wish for or what I’m not especially happy with.
- not many scrapbook/memory keeping projects being completed
- studio remains a mess and no end in sight
- not happy with my blogging or on-line sharing overall. Not sharing enough, not writing enough.
- not trying enough products/new things
- not walking dog enough on long walks and not doing enough at gym
I’ll stop here because I don’t want to pick and attack every little and big thing – and I have plenty to keep me busy! The plan of attack has been simple. I’ve been writing more. Scheduling blog posts ahead. I made a trip to the CHA tradeshow work out so I can check out the latest and greatest and get fresh inspiration. I went into the flooring store and picked out my new studio floor.
Some feel big – but really it is 100 tiny steps. It is deciding to do good things each day, to make choices that better my situation, and to keep the focus on positive things being done and NOT dwell on what I’m not doing or where I’m not at yet.
I’m in a constant state of growth, change, and improvement. I believe that is simply how life is. I’m excited though, and in drafting up this post I came up with a bunch of topics and things I’m excited to chat about here on my blog in addition to sharing actual crafty projects. In fact- just today I recorded a podcast that ties into so much of this stuff it felt like cosmic timing. Fantastic.
I’ll share a link when that is up, and you should stay tuned for so much more. 2015 is off to a great start – one day at a time.
If you’re interested in my story of personal creative journey, the creative journey category has all my posts. A few I recommend (in order of when they happened) are: